A blog of complete and utter random-ness. Hence the name : Igloo on the Beach!
You'll find poems and stories here ranging from lost sisters, to my account on a particular shade of lime green; from my dream of Michael Jackson to a curious girl. So go ahead, take a peep into my world, and I hope you enjoy!
SERIOUS #13 THE MULTIPLE BANS, ODD EVEN, AND THE MODI GOVERNMENT.
I'VE GOT VIEWS, AND I LIKE TO SHARE. DO NOT HAMPER MY FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION LIKE THE CENTRAL BOARD OF FILM CERTIFICATION DOES. VOLTAIRE ONCE SAID, "I DISAPPROVE OF WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND TO DEATH YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT." THANK YOU.
Okay, let me start with this: What is with these bans? First our beloved Maggi went, which is the staple diet for most youngsters in this country.
Then beef went, which a current majority religion in our country consumes quite regularly, and the ban on this delicious delicacy only indicates that the nation is ready to become a non-secular country.
And then almost went the bull taming festival, Jallikattu.
And then went the NGO's. In a clamp down on NGOs receiving foreign funds, the BJP-led government at the Centre had suspended the licences of 4,470 NGOs recently (Major example, GreenPeace India).
BBC agreed to not air the documentary in India but released it internationally, yes I'm talking about the unfortunate Nirbhaya documentary.
Something I was not aware of: Gmail was recently banned in government offices (!!!)
The government wants to monitor staff activity, which is why they’ve banned Gmail. (Whaaaaaaaaaaaatt)
Next point: Odd even in Delhi to lower pollution/traffic, or to bring back our winters - it worked, didn't it? For those 15 days of inconvenience to a few people of having to travel by public transport, with various exceptions being made depending on the situation, why crib if the entire exercise eventually made the capital a bit less deadly to live in, got back out winters and ALSO reduced traffic, hence allowing people using public transport like buses to reach their destination a lot faster.
I know a lot of you reading this might be complaining behind the screen, arguing mentally that Ragini doesn't drive and so has no issue with it. But to be very honest, I'd rather be able to breathe than drive on the anyway terrifying roads of Delhi.
Last but so not the least! - My views on the Modi Government
This can legit be a completely new post, that's how long it CAN be. See, it's very easy to point out the bad things a government does, and I can only imagine the amount of hard work that each and every employee of the government must do to help the nation run smoothly, but since I can only imagine it, and my personality and job as a writer kind of force me to point out the negatives, let's get over with a rather short list of good things that the Modi government has done so far, and then come the negatives.
Good things the Modi government has done:
1. Swatchh Bharat Abhiyan (to help clean India).
2. Modi has really helped India up it's game at the international front (because of his very frequent trips to exotic locations, of course), and ofcourse, "Make in India".
3. Does Modi posting selfies of himself on his twitter, and him being really, really fashion conscious count as a good thing?
"Bad"/ Negative things I have noticed:
1. Ban. Ban on food, religion, love (not only do they come across as homophobic, but after seeing what they and the Shiv Sena government in Maharashtra tried to do on Valentine's day.....*tsk tsk tsk*), films, everything.
2. Removal of the word "Secular" from the Preamble of the Indian Constitution. Although he claims that the very important word had been missing form the framed Preamble whilst the ex-Prime Minister, Mr. Manmohan Singh still occupied office, Modi seems to be covering up for his own doing. He is for Hindutva, which can be described as wanting to making India a complete Hindu state, official religion and all, much like Pakistan, and very much against the ideals of democracy and what the leaders' of the independence movements had thought best for our country.
- Ragini Zutshi Anand
Before any of you eat me alive, all the views given above are mine and mine alone.